Director of the Research Institute: Prof. Dr. Eberhard Sandschneider (Otto-Wolff-Director)
EPIN Liaison officer:
Head of EU-programme
Alfred von Oppenheim-Centre for European Studies
German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP)
The German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP) is Germany’s network for foreign policy. As an independent, non-partisan, and nonprofit membership organization, think tank, and publisher the DGAP has been promoting public debate on foreign policy in Germany for over 50 years.
The DGAP’s goals are:
- to promote and contribute to foreign policy debate in Germany,
- to advise decision makers from politics, business, and civil society
- to inform the public on foreign policy questions/issues
- to strengthen the German foreign policy community
- to advance Germany’s foreign affairs status in the world
Alfred von Oppenheim Center for European Policy Studies
The Alfred von Oppenheim Center for European Policy Studies (AOZ) is one of the research programs of the DGAP’s think tank.
The Oppenheim Center has become a place for analysis and debate about the foreign policy implications of European integration. Areas of focus include the foundations of the EU’s external security policy under the Treaty of Lisbon, EU enlargement policy as well as the European Neighborhood Policy.
Furthermore, since its founding in 2006, the Oppenheim Center has developed into a center of expertise on fundamental questions of German European policy.
With publications and events, the Center helps to strengthen the exchange between politics, administration, civil society, and the media – as well as between Berlin, Brussels, and other European capitals. It also serves to build a network with the European Policy Institutes Network (EPIN), the Euro-Mediterranean Study Commission (EuroMeSCo) and the German European Movement (EBD).
The AOZ seeks to provide new ideas for the continued development of EU foreign policy and to give new recommendations for Germany’s policies on Europe.
Focus for 2013:
- Current developments in EU foreign policy
- EU enlargement policy (Western Balkans and Turkey)
- European Neighborhood Policy in the southern Mediterranean
- German policy on Europe, EU debate in the context of the 2013 German federal elections
- Elections to the European Parliament 2014
+++ List of recent DGAP Publications +++